The Benefits of Mindfulness, Meditation and being immersed in Nature.
While Mindfulness and Meditation have long been recognised for their relaxation and mental health benefits, being practised by multiple religions for thousands years, only recently has scientific research begun to support these practices. Research has shown that meditation has the ability to not only reduce anxiety, but also to improve your immune system and reduce pain. With the fast-paced nature of contemporary society mindfulness and meditation is relevant now more than ever in providing an escape and mental wellbeing. Please read on to find just some of the key benefits of these practices.
- Teaches to slow down and quietly consider your responses to a given situation rather than reacting with mindlessness, allowing you to respond more compassionately and warmly.
- Encourages greater curiosity and warmth over your attention and thoughts.
- Respects and quietens that harsh self-critical inner voice.
- Reduces the tendency to worry about the unknown and hold onto discomfort.
- See the small victories and beauties in life.
- Opens your heart.
- Gives you the ability to tune into your moment by moment experiences (Teasdale, Williams & Segal 2014).
- Lowers levels of stress hormones cortisol and lactate
- Increases blood flow and slows the resting heart rate
- Can decrease high blood pressure
- Decreases anxiety
- Decreases the holds of depression if used appropriately
- Decreases irritability and moodiness
- Increased clarity of thinking, reasoning and creativity
- Increased emotional stability
- Increased happiness
- Experience a sense of ‘wholeness’
- Stronger sense of intuition
- A more in-depth understanding and respect for self-purpose
- Increased sense of warmth and love
- Sense of connection and care with our natural world
- Increased sense of purpose within our natural world
- Increased sense of space thus decreasing stress and increasing calm
- Allows for time to feel the natural rhythms of life
- Increases in wellbeing through direct pure experiences with the natural environment.
These statements have been adapted from SMARTfoundations wellbeing coach manual.
These are just some of the benefits to the practises promoted by Breathe Outdoors. However it is worth bearing in mind that not everyone will have the same experience or the same benefits. This can be due to age, practise habits and personal experiences.
See our courses page for more information.